How to Clean Ink Stains from your Carpet

When talking about printer maintenance. At least from what I have written in the past few months, the advice has been to always have either paper towels, newspaper on a cloth ready and at hand when inserting the ink cartridge so you won’t have any accidents.

But what if you did all that and it just happened to slip from your hands and fall where there is not protection and you know that will happen. Another misfortune could be a leaky ink cartridge. So what we have are some tips and ideas with items found at most homes. Be ready to say good bye to the stains.

Items (you could use them together or separate):
Rubbing Alcohol, Oxi Clean, Dry Cloth, Toothbrush or Medium Brush

• Tip 1 - Always attack the stain immediately and head on. Make sure you DO NOT rub the rag over the ink spot; this will only push it deeper into the carpet fibers!

• Tip 2 - Make a solution of Oxi clean with Alcohol; I mix about 1/2 scoop Oxi clean with really warm water and a couple tablespoon 91% rubbing alcohol, used a toothbrush for scrubbing and the stain goes away just like magic. Brush from the outer edges of the stain inward to prevent the stain from spreading.

• Tip 3 - Another way out is to use is a mixture of hydrogen peroxide. A solution of 3 percent can be used to get rid of stains on your carpets. After you apply the peroxide, leave it to soak for 1 ½ hours at least. After the wait, get a paper towel or clothe that is wet and use it to daub the ink stain. You can keep repeating the steps until the ink has finally been removed.

• Tip 4 - Finally, dry the area quickly. There may still be some ink hiding deep in the fibers. Quick drying prevents this remaining ink from wicking up to the surface of the carpet where it can become visible again. Paper towels work well to get the moisture out, and a fan left blowing on the area will complete the process.

• Tip 5 – Last tip. Always test the cleaning solutions on an inconspicuous part of the carpet before using on a large area. Use a white cloth rather than a colored one to prevent any dyes from coming off on the carpet.

source, source, source

What did you think of this article?

Trackbacks
  • No trackbacks exist for this post.
Comments

• 4/26/2010 6:53 AM bamboo rugs wrote:
    It is a great pleasure reading your blog and get some useful tips in this field of activity.
  • 5/12/2010 4:05 AM Carpet tiles wrote:
    This is great! Martha would be proud! Oxyclean is an amazing product. I mix it with something called Nature's Miracle for pet stains, with good results. And as you say, don't rub it in.
  • 5/17/2010 2:04 AM ink toner cartridges wrote:
    best printers and get good print
  • 5/24/2010 7:18 AM How to Make Sushi wrote:
    Is hydrogen peroxide safe to use on colored rugs? Won't it bleach?
  • 5/26/2010 9:59 PM Thesis wrote:
    How about using baking powder to clean stains or the Coca Cola, would it be worth it?
  • 6/23/2010 3:59 AM Outdoor Pavers wrote:
    Thanks for the tips! I try to avoid having a printer anywhere carpeted but sometimes you just can't help it. Ink stains like hell, and it's really hard to take off when you don't know what you're doing. Well now next time I won't have to call in professionals!
  • 6/24/2010 10:46 PM Pergolas wrote:
    Thanks for the tips! I had that happen to me once and I had to call in professionals because nothing I did worked. It cost me much more than it should have, it seems!
  • 8/12/2010 2:47 AM online keno wrote:
    The great resource that you are providing and you give it away for free. I love seeing blog that understand the value of providing a quality resource for free. It is the old what goes around comes around routine. Did you want to acquired lots of links and I see lots of track backs soon...
  • 8/27/2010 5:10 AM intercasino review wrote:
    Absolutely amazing post.
    I've always wanted to clean my carpet!
    Hope they'll work!
  • 9/5/2010 12:25 AM FieldsNellie32 wrote:
    Buildings are expensive and not every person is able to buy it. Nevertheless, mortgage loans are created to help people in such kind of hard situations.
  • 9/8/2010 11:57 AM IsabelleAtkins33 wrote:
    The theme got in touch with buy research paper could be taken by custom essays writers. Writng of buy research paper was not a problem for innovative people.
  • 9/10/2010 9:02 AM courseworks wrote:
    There are lots of custom writing organizations where you can order coursework online. However, the most reputable of them provide the best and high standards!
  • 10/1/2010 8:12 PM computer services westchester wrote:
    Few people know that relevant posts make the blog itself more appealing
  • 10/2/2010 5:06 AM posizionamento su google wrote:
    I have to admit that this blog has phenomenal posts
  • 10/2/2010 9:10 PM seo company new york wrote:
    My opinion is that this post is really good indeed
  • 10/13/2010 9:33 AM thesis writing service wrote:
    Lots of times some guys would like to buy nice thesis paper referring to this topic from the dissertations writing services. Can you please propose the trustworthy thesis service? Thank you so much.
    1. 10/13/2010 1:14 PM Karla Arostegui - Content Mgr. wrote:
      To tell you the truth I have no idea who can assist you with thesis paper writing services but for sure when you PRINT your thesis contact us for great prices on ink and toner cartridges and specialty paper to make this most important paper in the life of students print out perfect!
  • 3/24/2011 3:46 PM lasik eye surgery wrote:
    This rss feed does not work in my browser Firefox4 how can I repair
  • 3/31/2011 1:57 AM Brandy30Richards wrote:
    I would like thank you very much for your fantastic stuff about this good post! Moreover, you know, that the writing jobs service would like to add this in the term papers.
  • 6/19/2012 1:46 AM Filips wrote:
    Thanks for post. It really informative stuff. I really like to read. Hope to learn a lot and have a nice experience here! My best regards guys! Tuff. I really like to read. Hope to learn a lot and have a nice experience here! My best regards guys!
  • 6/19/2012 1:56 AM crocusseo wrote:
    I like your blog post. Keep on writing this type of great stuff. I'll make sure to follow up on your blog in the future.
  • 7/21/2012 1:00 AM carpet odor treatment draper wrote:

Before you attempt to remove that awful stain on your carpet, stop and think, what made that stain? Having this information will help you to remove the stain from your carpet instead of just making a bigger mess.

Thinking back you remember now that it occurred last night while entertaining some friends. It's best to learn exactly what will work on that type of spot before trying to remove it from your carpet. Different things work on different spots and you need to be sure that what you use will remove it as it should.

Going about taking the spot out in the wrong way will only make things worse or even set the spot in your carpet forever. I've seen many customers make a real problem of a spot before they finally give up and ask me to remove it. I always hate having to tell these people that the spot will never come out because they tried so hard.
  • 7/21/2012 10:55 PM carpet odor treatment provo wrote:
    Most carpet cleaners are wary about ink spots or stains. Many of them have experienced limited success in removing them from carpet. Ink stains are particularly difficult to deal with when found on light colored high density plush pile carpets.

One of the peculiar characteristics of ink spots, is the ease with which it spreads in the carpet after an initial application of a solvent. That is why extra care must be taken to avoid rubbing the stain. Blotting, or extraction with a wet vac is the recommended method for its removal.
  • 7/1/2013 11:07 AM WaltCulver wrote:
    We used a simplified version of Tip 2 for an inkjet black spot on a cream colored carpet the day after the spotting, and it worked immediately!

We used the simpler approach of a solution of liquid Oxi Clean (as bought in a spray bottle), regular 70% strength rubbing alcohol, and no extra water -- applied with a toothbrush.
    1. 7/1/2013 12:36 PM Karla Arostegui - Content Mgr. wrote:
      Thanks for sharing and updating our carpet cleaning tips!

• 4/9/2014 6:34 PM Thankful Beth wrote:
    I used straight hydrogen peroxide after I had blotted up the surface of the 7x7 blue, red and black stain that MY DOG LEFT after he tore into/ate my whole NEW box of pixma color cartridges(KA-CHING!)...I kept dabbing lightly with hydro peroxide and immediately dabbing with paper towels (went through 2 rolls) and like a miracle, the stain is almost ALL gone (and worked really well with Qtips for spot treatment everywhere else on the carpet from his paws!)You saved me from replacing a $3K rug - I really appreciate your help!